Flagstaff homeowners love the look and feel of wall-to-wall carpeting, and who can blame them? With its warmth and comfort under foot, carpets are a staple in the modern American home. At Floor Coverings International® of Flagstaff, we help Flagstaff homeowners choose and install new carpeting. One of the most common questions we receive is, “how do I protect and maintain my new carpet?” Read on for tips on how to keep your carpets looking great for decades.
The best—and easiest—way to keep your carpets looking great is to prevent damage from occurring in the first place. Here are a few ways to protect your carpets:
- Enforce a shoes-off policy in your home. Shoes bring dirt and dust and grit into your home, which settle into the fibers of your carpeting and cause damage.
- Use some strategically placed rugs and doormats to protect vulnerable areas: entryways, hallways, and other high-traffic parts of the home.
- Avoid eating and drinking dark liquids near carpeting.
- Clean up any spills immediately.
The majority of Flagstaff homeowners do not vacuum the recommended amount. In most of the country, experts suggest vacuuming every week. Here, because of our low humidity, it’s okay to vacuum a little less often. Be sure, however, to vacuum at least twice per month. Vacuuming removes dirt and grit from your carpet before it can cause damage.
You should get your wall-to-wall carpets steam cleaned at least once per year. Personal steam cleaners are available for purchase and rental from your local home improvement store, however, it is worth investing in a professional steam cleaning because it extends the life of your carpet.
A Word on Pets
Pets can peacefully coexist with carpeting so long as you take a few precautions:
- Be sure to trim your dog’s nails. If they are long enough to reach the floor, they are too long.
- Invest in a bed for your dog or cat to sleep on. This keeps them up, off the carpet, and consolidates shedding to one area.
For more information on keeping your carpets in tip-top shape, reach out to the carpeting experts at Floor Coverings International Flagstaff.